Save a Life
You Can Help Save Lives
Learn About Chase’s Story
From Barrie, Ontario, Chase McEachern was a typical 12 year old boy who loved school, sports, and team play. Chase McEachern loved hockey. In 2004, 11-year-old Chase was not only a left winger, he also became assistant captain for the Vaughan Kings Minor Pewee AAA, a Greater Toronto Hockey League team.
But, in October, 2005, after being injured while playing a pick-up football game at school, he went to emergency where the doctors happened to discover his heart was beating fast – up to 150 times a minute – even though he was sitting in bed, a condition later diagnosed as an atrial flutter. Chase was airlifted to Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto to shock his heart back to normal rhythm. The procedure is called a cardiovert, in which doctors returned his heart rhythm back to normal with a small electric pulse with Chase under a general anesthetic. It was successful and Chase went back to school and continued playing hockey, but this time, under doctors’ orders, wearing a heart monitor. Sometimes, during practice, Chase’s heart would beat up to 320 times a minute.
This is around the time when Chase began his campaign to make AEDs mandatory in hockey arenas and schools everywhere. He wrote a letter to hockey commentator Don Cherry, asking for support of his cause. Sadly, before the campaign even truly began, and before Don Cherry got his letter, Chase collapsed while warming up in gym class to play volleyball. With no AED at the school, EMS and firefighters arrived and did CPR, then rushed Chase to Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie. Chase was then airlifted to London, while there he was on a respirator for one week. With no change in sight, Chase’s family made the decision to turn of the respirator off on February 15, 2006 at 3:30pm.
One visit to sick kids when Chase had to stay over, Chase’s hockey coach suggested for Chase to come up with a positive solution to his situation. This was when Chase wrote his letter to Don Cherry asking for his assistance to get the word out that AED’s should be in all arenas, schools and public places for the protection of the young and old. Mr. Cherry read Chase’s letter on Coaches Corner and his Grape Vine radio show.
Chase’s father, John McEachern and his new partnership with Rescue 7 is aimed at carrying on Chase’s dream to have AED’s in all public places throughout Canada.
Rescue 7 Inc. has set up a Memorial Fund for Chase, where 100% of your donations will go to purchase AED’s for Not For Profit organizations. Rescue 7 Inc. will cover all administrative costs pertaining to Chase’s Memorial Fund. For more information about please visit https://www.chasesdream.org.
Defibrillators Save Lives
A cardiac arrest can happen in the blink of an eye. And without immediate treatment, this usually results in death. However, the odds of survival increase significantly when an Automated External Defibrillator and CPR are used on the victim. The following are recounts of actual situations where an AED did indeed save a life.
March, 2015 – Ottawa, ON
A healthy 62-year-old male collapsed while working out at a fitness facility. Fortunately, the gym had Rescue 7’s HeartSine SAM350P on hand, and their trained staff, along with an off-duty paramedic, grabbed the AED and began CPR. A shock was delivered prior to the arrival of EMS, who took over with CPR. The patient is now resting in hospital and a full recovery is expected.
March, 2015 – Victoria, BC
A healthy middle-aged female employee of a processing plant arrived at work and began her shift. Within 10 minutes of beginning her work day, she was walking down the hall and collapsed. Her fellow colleagues had all been trained in first aid by Rescue 7, and the facility had installed Rescue 7’s HeartSine SAM500P, with real-time CPR feedback, just a year ago. Training instincts took over, and the well-executed emergency response, with early defibrillation from the AED, is credited for saving her life.
February 5, 2014 – AED and CPR Save Man’s Life at North Bay YMCA
A group of staff and members at the North Bay, Ont. YMCA is credited with saving a 69-year-old man who had a cardiac arrest and collapsed after swimming laps in the pool. A lifeguard and paramedic instructor, the aquatic director, a couple of student paramedic and several others staffers pitched in to perform CPR and shock the man using an automated external defibrillator. Paramedics and firefighters took over from the group, arriving shortly after receiving the 911 call. The man was breathing and sitting up in the ambulance by the time it arrived at hospital.
January 24, 2014 – Man’s Brush With Death Highlights Importance of AEDs and Training
Ayaz Kara was playing squash at Mount Royal University’s recreation centre in Calgary when he suddenly felt dizzy and out of breath. Student Michael Dubnyk was the first to respond to the emergency cardiac arrest, beginning CPR on the 53-year-old. First aid instructor Paul Hunka then raced to the scene to help. As the men continued to compress Kara’s chest, a MRU supervisor grabbed an automated external defibrillator (AED), hooked it up to Kara and shocked him twice. “They’re angels in my eyes, they really are, because they saved me,” he said.
January 2014- Defibrillator Saves Ottawa Curler
Quick response and an onsite AED are being credited for saving the life of an Ottawa man who went into cardiac arrest while curling in Quebec. A doctor on the ice began CPR while the HeartSine Samaritan PAD 300P defibrillator was retrieved. Two shocks were delivered, keeping the man alive until emergency crews arrived. The man survived and is now recovering at home.
May 2013 – Hockey Player Gets A Fighting Chance To Survive
Here’s why every hockey arena in Canada should - and soon will - have defibrillators on premises. A man in Quebec was fortunate not to be another fatality statistic, thanks to an accessible and easy-to-use HeartSine Samaritan PAD 500P defibrillator and the quick reaction of bystanders. Studies have shown that the emergency use of an AED and proper CPR on a cardiac arrest victim can increase the chance of survival by more than 75%
March 2013 - Off Duty Firefighter In The Right Place At The Right Time
An off-duty firefighter in Newfoundland saved a man’s life at a gentlemen’s league hockey game. The 50-year-old player first experienced chest pains and then collapsed in cardiac arrest. The firefighter immediately took charge, sending someone to call 911 and grabbing the nearby automated external defibrillator. Within two minutes, the firefighter administered the first of five shocks to the fallen man’s chest. The use of that AED and CPR keep the man alive before emergency crews arrived 15 minutes later. The man was rushed to hospital for surgery to repair a 90% blockage in one artery. He has made a full recovery.
It’s a fact: Automated External Defibrillators save lives. Do you need an AED for your workplace or home?
Contact Us and we’ll be pleased to help you out. At Rescue7, we take health and safety as seriously as you do